Paralegal (Catastrophic Injury)
About the team:
Our Claims team (known as Aspire) has established a strong reputation as one of the leaders in the South East for advising on brain and catastrophic injury claims.
Ranked as a Band 1 firm in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 respectively, aspire boasts a great depth of knowledge and experience in this area. Our specialists ensure that our clients receive the very best advice. They strive to provide an excellent service to all of our clients, combining outstanding technical skill with a uniquely personal and down to earth approach.
We have extensive expertise in all forms of injury, but particularly brain and catastrophic injuries resulting from:
- Road traffic accidents
- Accidents involving pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists
- Accidents at work and occupational diseases
- Occupiers’ and employers’ liability
- Accidents overseas
- Aviation accidents
- Accidents causing death
- Criminal injuries
- Medical and professional negligence
- Accidents involving all forms of transport
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Paralegal to support the Senior Partner with a variety of high value, complex cases within catastrophic injury; specifically, brain, head, and spinal injury. On occasion, you will also be required to support the Solicitors in progressing client’s claims to a successful conclusion. Demonstrating flexibility, innovation and large quantities of common sense in this fast-paced department.
- Taking initial instructions from potential new clients both in person and over the telephone
- Opening new files and preparing the initial funding documentation
- Advising clients on various funding options available
- Arranging and liaising with clients (via email, telephone and letter) with regards to appointment dates, dates for conferences, authorities to obtain records
- Liaising with counsel’s clerk with regards to counsel’s availability to attend conferences and advise, also with regards to fee estimates
- Liaising with experts secretaries as above, also relating to new medico-legal enquiries: waiting list for appointments, timescales for reports, obtaining CVs etc.
- Liaising with medical agencies, with regards to experts on their panel and timescales for appointments
- Liaising with and updating BTE/ATE insurers
- Undertaking telephone and face to face interviews to obtain witness statements from clients and other supporting witnesses
- Preparing and drafting supporting witness statements
- Drafting Instructions to Counsel and Experts
- Attending initial client meetings / conferences with counsel and minute taking
- Collating, photocopying and preparing bundles of records / documents
- Drafting standard Court documents
- Preparing Schedules of Costs
- Undertaking legal research as necessary
- Undertaking fee estimate reviews and updating clients
- Providing administrative and telephone support to the team as and when required
- Liaising with our accounts team on the general day to day finances of a claim
- Meeting financial targets to be agreed.
Do you have?
- Previous legal work experience in Personal Injury, ideally 18+ months
- A genuine interest in PI and the desire to learn and develop your skills and expertise
- Commercial awareness
- Solid IT skills with a good working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook, as you will be self-sufficient
- Good numeracy skills in order to deal accurately with accounts
- Accreditation/interest with APIL, charities and support groups.
- The ability to work well under pressure and manage a varied workload
- A good eye for detail, presentation and overall high work standards
- Excellent client care skills
- Good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team not only in Aspire but with internal teams across the business
If you feel you could be exactly what we’re looking for and would like to help us make a difference, we would really like to hear from you! Click the button to apply.
We are not currently accepting candidate CV's from any recruitment agencies.
asb law LLP is an equal opportunities employer