Commercial Partner / Director
About the commercial team:
The commercial team, which is based in our Crawley office, combines business understanding with exceptional technical know-how to help clients achieve their business objectives. We provide business-ready commercial advice to in-house lawyers, their commercial colleagues as well as to owners and managers of businesses.
We have particular expertise in technology-related issues including IT provision and on-line trading issues, intellectual property rights management, the management, exploitation and protection of data, trading arrangements including joint ventures, partnering arrangements, agency and distribution agreements, procurement agreements and outsourcing agreements.
The commercial team is managed on a day-to-day basis by a Partner in the team, reporting to the Head of Service Delivery for Commercial Client Services. The team consists of two partners, three solicitors and a trainee. This team is supported by a number of consultants on our bench to strengthen the offering around certain sector based issues.
About the role:
The role is primarily to help shape the delivery of commercial legal services to existing clients and qualified prospects from our sales pipeline. You will work closely with clients and prospects to understand how we can improve the delivery of commercial advice to the business. You will also work closely with the commercial team in developing our approach based on your own insights and those gained from conversations with clients, including sharing those developments across the firm as a whole. You will be encouraged to help supervise and mentor junior members of the team and deliver legal services, as appropriate. A solid experience in general commercial legal matters is ideal to bolster the team’s existing knowledge base. Some experience of managing compliance issues would also be beneficial.
Clients tell us that they want price certainty and legal advice that is delivered in a way which responds to the risk tolerance and management style of the business. You will need to be able to adapt to the different demands of different clients. We are definitely not looking for a commercial lawyer who looks at life through a traditional lens and expects clients to adapt to their personal way of working.
The role involves working in the service delivery line as well as helping to shape new sales propositions working in conjunction with the Head of Sales for Large Corporates and the Head of Sales for Mid Corporates.
The key features and characteristics of the role include:
- understanding the client’s business objectives and the context in which we are being asked to provide services;
- working with the client to create the most appropriate solution to be delivered in the most appropriate way for that client;
- delivering that solution, in conjunction with other members of the Commercial team as appropriate, to the agreed quality level at the agreed price;
- supervising team members;
- mentoring the more junior members of the team in the new ways of working;
- improving our quality control procedures;
- sharing knowledge across the team and the firm as appropriate;
- contributing to the asb law continuous improvement programme;
- developing client relationships from within the service line and recording information on our CRM system;
- helping to deliver consultancy services to in-house legal departments;
- helping to deliver compliance services to in-house legal departments;
- designing and helping to sell differentiated propositions that are attractive to target clients;
- assisting with management of team finances and working with budgets; and
- working with the Service Delivery Manager for Commercial on pricing, including for new propositions and retainers.
Do you have the following?
- At least 15+ years commercial legal experience obtained across both private practice and in-house positions.
- A sound understanding of the demands and pressures of in-house legal teams and their business colleagues.
- An interest in how technology is shaping the delivery of legal services.
- Experience of a transformation programme gained in a professional services industry.
- A sense of frustration with the current delivery model and a strong desire to help shape a new delivery model.
- A strong network of in-house contacts that falls within our core target market.
If you do have the above and you would like to share in our purpose and can strengthen the services we offer, we would really like to hear from you!
asb law LLP is an equal opportunities employer