Skip to the content

Safeguarding the wellbeing of elderly & vulnerable people


How we can help

We have played active roles in the support teams for elderly and vulnerable people and their families for many years. Wishes and expectations vary from person to person, so we work hard to get to know you and understand what’s really important to secure your future financial wellbeing.

With clear goals and specialists support, we do everything we can to empower you to make your own decisions and achieve your potential.

Read more…

For more information, contact Glen Miles on 01622 656554

Power of Attorney

How do I protect myself in case I can’t make decisions in the future?

By creating a power of attorney you can appoint someone to make decisions on your behalf, should you become unable to. We can help you create either type of lasting power of attorney – one that protects your property and finances and another for decisions regarding your health and welfare.

Lasting powers of attorney can include different options, so we’ll walk you through and advise on the benefits and implications of each, prepare your documentation and then help register it with the Office of the Public Guardian.

We can also advise the people you choose to act under your Power of Attorney.

Court of Protection

What can I do if someone can no longer look after themselves?

If someone you care about loses the ability to make decisions for themselves and they don’t have a power of attorney in place, you can apply to the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy.

The first step is to assess their level of capacity and establish to what degree they can look after themselves. We work with you, your family and, where appropriate, medical practitioners to determine what help is needed.

We can file the court application, support the deputy once they’re appointed and help with any future applications you may need to make.

Deputyship applications

Who can I appoint to manage someone’s affairs?

If you’re thinking of applying to the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy to manage someone's affairs but don’t have anyone suitable, you can put forward one of our team.

As an appointed deputy, we would become a fundamental part of their support team and have responsibility for managing their affairs. That means we’d help manage their finances, make day-to-day decisions and do anything else required under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, such as preparing and filing their accounts.

Wills for vulnerable people

How can I provide for someone with a long-term illness or disability?

If you want to make provisions in your will for someone with a long-term illness or disability, you’ll need to take the right steps so as not to impact any eligibility they might have for external support and cause instability.

Creating a trust, either during your lifetime or contained in your will, can help overcome these problems. We’ll advise on the best options, which will depend on the needs of the beneficiary and the situation that they are currently in.

Special interest trusts

What’s a special interest trust for?

You can use trusts in a wide range of family, commercial and financial situations to protect your assets and minimise your tax liabilities. Their terms and flexibility can vary a lot.

Whilst HMRC recognises a vulnerable person’s trust status, the choice of trust, its tax treatment and the technical jargon make it tricky to navigate. Our Vulnerable People team advise you on the options available and help prepare the trust that best meets your and your beneficiary’s needs.

Get in touch with us

Glen Miles Partner Vulnerable People asb law Maidstone

Glen Miles

Partner, Head of Services for Vulnerable People
Glen advises to the needs of vulnerable people and their families, with special interest in Court of Protection.

To talk to us about your concerns and find out more about how we can help, call Glen on 01622 656554

News and insights

Who cares about the future?
Services for vulnerable people

Who cares about the future?

The number of diagnosed cases of dementia has risen by 50% in the last 11 years, with that number expected to double in the next decade.
Read more