Legacies and legacy disputes
Whether your fundraising strategy is dependent on legacy income or you see it as a lucky windfall, we can help you to secure the full benefit of any gift. Realising legacy income as cash for the charity has become quite contentious in recent years with more home-made wills, complex family structures, contested estates and undue influence cases. Maximising a legacy is as important as ever but it can be very difficult, and a charity's decisions on whether or not to accept a legacy or pursue its full benefit are subject to regulatory constraints.
Our team can advise on:
- the administration of estates and legacies including tax issues and negotiations
- capacity issues, fraud, duress and undue influence claims affecting the validity of Wills, statutory wills and Court of Protection (our team includes a specialist Court of Protection Panel Deputy)
- financial dependency claims including claims made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act
- litigation including applications concerning breach of duties by personal representatives and trustees (including the removal and replacement of them), construction hearings for Wills and trusts and, where necessary, applications for rectification of faulty Wills and trusts
- asset tracing and recovery
- professional negligence claims
- reviews of trusts and estates
For more information on employees and volunteers for the education sector and to start a conversation on how we can help you please contact Debbie Venn, Partner and Head of Technology, Media and Telecommunications.